Friday, August 22, 2014

dinosauric!

Today we went to a dinosaur/archeologist surprise birthday party for a 22 year old Hungarian. But first we had our second Hungarian class.

Another (early) morning leaving the apartment by 9 to get to the dorm at 10 for Hungarian class. A bit of coffee stolen from my father helped wake me up and keep me interested in learning numbers and taking notes. Only our second class and I had already forgotten to bring the papers Kati had given us. Nearly three hours later we were heading back into the city to prepare for the party.

It was suggested that we dress in theme so I did my best with combat boots, olive shorts, and a white shirt under a jean long sleeve and Dad put minimal effort in wearing beige and greenish. Then it was time to meet the students to catch the train to Csobanka. A few minutes of waiting on a beautiful day across from parliament was no problem at all and soon enough we were on the HEV train.

30-45 minutes later we failed to get off at the correct stop and had to catch the next train going back to the correct stop and almost got fined for not having the correct tickets but luckily we had a lovely Hungarian with us who talked our way out of it. A quick bus ride and we were in Csobanka where the family home of Lena is (it was Lena's sister *Saci's birthday party that we were going to). A very cute town and a quick walk to the house and we were sitting in their backyard waiting to surprise Saci. Many laughs with the students and not being sure if we were allowed to start eating before champagne was passed around for a toast when Saci was about to come.

When Saci came into the backyard she was very surprised indeed to find 16 Calvin students plus their professor & family at her house. We toasted the champagne and sang Happy Birthday and then did our best to say it in Hungarian (boldog születésnapot). I did not like this champagne very much and was going to give mine to my dad, but then Sierra suggested I make it into a mimosa, (champagne with orange juice just incase you didn't know what that was like I didn't) I did and it tasted much better.

Many more laughs and some cake later it was decided that we were all going on a walk. On this walk Aby and I fought for a new best friend Donny (who was about 4? 5? and very adorable but spoke no English). I ended up winning and spending most of my evening playing with and just following Donny's lead. We played a lot with a string and some sort of archeological digging game in the front where the garden was under construction. It started to get dark and then was quite dark throughout our games and near the end the group very nearly left without me.

Then we went on a seeming longer train ride home with lights that would flicker just short enough to make you wonder if you had just had an irregular blink. During said train ride fish faces were made, and candy crush was played. Now I am quite sleepy and looking forward to tomorrow where I will a) get to sleep past 8:30 and b) most likely see the beloved Ainsley and Chelsea who were students on the 2011 trip and are now back in Hungary to teach.

(*Saci pronouced something like SHOT-see, kind of like yahtzee)

No comments:

Post a Comment